Intent for our Reading Curriculum
- At Corpus Christi, our aim is that every child will learn to read, regardless of their background, needs or ability.
- Phonics is taught in such a way that children experience success from the very beginning enabling them to become confident and fluent readers at an early age.
- Successful and effective teaching of phonics and early reading will enable our children to develop a firm foundation in literacy, from which they can develop excellent vocabulary and cultivate a love of reading that can last a lifetime.
- Children enjoy a wide range of stories, poems and non-fiction in the books that they take home to read and in the ones they are taught during English lessons.
- Children have access to high quality texts and are given sufficient time to practice reading and re-reading books both at school and at home.