What is it?
- Framework for teaching – it is not a teaching method or magic wand!
- 10 minutes individual work per day with a child
- Usually carried out by Teaching Assistants
- Very good for boosting basic skills: literacy or numeracy
- May improve self-esteem and attitude to work
- To accelerate learning
- To specify targets in observable and measurable terms
- To focus on success or failure of the teaching
- To make teaching precise and efficient
What does it involve?
- Initial (baseline) assessment of where child is in relation to the skills to be taught
- 10 minute daily sessions
- Daily assessment and charting of progress
- Ongoing evaluation of rate of progress
What does a session look like?
- 3-5 minutes - direct instruction (see below)
- 2-4 minutes – activities may include copy out/trace over words/letters, looking for words/sounds in books; games or flashcards
- 2-4 minutes - testing and recording (probes and recording sheet)
How to help at home?
- You will be informed of your child's targets and so it will be helpful to practice these daily at home